2021 has been quite the year – and while there have been plenty of not-so-good times, we at Mirantis would like to take a moment to focus on the good. We are thankful for the opportunity to provide our readers with informative, accurate, and, above all, educational content via our company blog. We try not only to include helpful information about both our Cloud Native and open source products, but also to cover educational topics that apply to our industry, common use cases, and in some instances, apply to the larger community of the world.
Below, you will find a collection of the “top ten” most read blogs published by Mirantis in 2021. Included are brief summaries for each article along with links directly to their published location. You will also find the most viewed videos from the Mirantis YouTube Channel and the most attended webinars hosted by Mirantis from throughout the year.
Kubernetes Resources, YAML Tutorials & More
- Introduction to YAML: Creating a Kubernetes deployment – While you can use Kubernetes strictly from the command line, coding anything of significance is going to take knowledge of the YAML markup language. Learn just how to use YAML to create Kubernetes objects, such as pods, deployments, services, networking, and even custom resources. Read Blog | View Webinar »
- Kubernetes multi-container pods & container communication – Learn how to combine multiple containers into a single Kubernetes Pod, and what it means for inter-container communication when deploying microservice-based applications. Read Blog | Cloud Native Training (CN251) »
- Kubernetes Replication Controller, Replica Set & Deployments – Kubernetes was created to orchestrate multiple containers and replication. Learn the three most common ways to manage Kubernetes across multiple containers through the use of Replication Controllers, Replica Sets, or Kubernetes Deployments. Read Blog | Watch Get Started Video »
- Kustomize Tutorial: Creating a Kubernetes app out of multiple pieces – Kustomize is one of the most powerful tools available in the Kubernetes ecosystem, enabling you to create an entire application out of individual pieces – all without touching the YAML. Follow this tutorial to explore how kustomize works with a sample WordPress deployment, and how to use kubectl in tandem with kustomize to create different kinds of deployments. View Tutorial | Additional Kubernetes Resources »
- Kubernetes Cheat Sheet – Often you know what you want to do, you just can’t remember the vocabulary or syntax for how to do it. This cheat sheet is designed to help solve that problem, giving you all the resources you need to unlock the full power of the robust, cloud native orchestration tool that is Kubernetes. Read Cheat Sheet | Lens the Kubernetes IDE »
- Mirantis Flow reinvents the data center as Cloud Native – What if the traditional, physical data center is only one option developers have for running their applications? Enter Mirantis Flow, a vendor-agnostic, proactively operated service that works with both physical data centers, as well as in the public cloud, providing you a Data Center as a Service. Read Blog | Start Saving with Mirantis Flow »
- Introducing the NGINX Ingress Controller in Mirantis Kubernetes Engine 3.5.0 – With the release of Mirantis Kubernetes Engine (MKE) 3.5.0, the development teams have switched the Ingress Controller from Istio Ingress to NGINX Ingress Controller. This tutorial explains why the change was made, which products from Mirantis are affected, what to do if you wish to continue using Istio Ingress, and even how to implement the change in your own environments. Read Blog | Try MKE for Free »
- Lens 5 for Kubernetes adds new features to securely access shared clusters from anywhere – Lens 5 delivers new feature enhancements for organizing cloud native resources and accelerating workflows, including Lens Spaces, a centralized cloud-based service – integrated with Lens IDE – that enables teams to create collaborative spaces for their cloud-native development needs. Read Release Blog | Learn More About Lens Spaces »
- The Future of Dockershim is cri-dockerd – Don’t panic, even with the deprecation of Dockershim, many people leveraging containerd rather than Docker explicitly, will see no interruption of their service. For those running Mirantis Kubernetes Engine or Mirantis Container Runtime, the teams at Mirantis have already taken steps to ensure the deprecation of Dockershim will have no effect on users. Read Blog | Test cri-dockerd from GitHub »
- Lens 5.0 Beta – With the release of the Lens 5.0 Beta, the most powerful Kubernetes IDE delivers new tooling for organizing cloud native resources and accelerating DevOps workflow through the addition of Lens Spaces, a secure, cloud-based enhancement enabling Dev teams to securely share access to production-grade clusters. Lens 5.0 also introduces Cluster Connect, Catalog, and Lens HotBar. Read Blog | Get Started with Lens »
Get Started with Lens, Ingress & Kubernetes
If you would like to stay up-to-date with the latest video content from Mirantis, please visit and subscribe to our YouTube channel – click the bell if you would like to receive notifications.
- Get Lens Kubernetes IDE Running in 5 Minutes – Lens, the world’s #1 Kubernetes IDE, is free to download and use. Visit https://k8slens.dev/ today and follow this tutorial guide to get started in as little as five minutes.
- Lens Kubernetes IDE Overview – Lens is the world’s most popular Kubernetes IDE, available for free and compatible with Linux, Mac, and Windows. It will be the only IDE you’ll ever need to visualize and manage your Kubernetes deployments, saving your DevOps team time, money, and unnecessary hassle.
- Istio Ingress Gateway vs. Kubernetes Ingress Demo – Learn the difference between Kubernetes built-in Ingress controller and the third-party option from Istio: Istio Ingress Gateway. Includes a live demo where you’ll be able to see the differences and benefits of each.
- Mirantis Container Cloud – Mirantis Container Cloud is the most secure container management platform for any cloud. Container Cloud drastically simplifies container infrastructure management, offered as a service, with a single platform for deploying, scaling, and managing containerized applications from the data center to the edge.
- Mirantis OpenStack for Kubernetes Overview – The easiest way to OpenStack is on Kubernetes. Mirantis has long been known as the “OpenStack company” and now we are bringing OpenStack to Kubernetes with our latest, cloud native OpenStack solution.
Understanding K8s Series, OpenStack Basics & Container Security Top 5
Interested in registering for upcoming webinars presented by Mirantis? Visit our webinars page to save your seat at our next webinar, or explore past webinars available on demand.
- Getting Started with Kubernetes, part 1: Introduction to YAML | Feb. 18, 2021 – Working with YAML files is essential for nearly any form of modern web development, especially those employing Kubernetes. Part one of this webinar series walks you through YAML basics, outlining the structure of YAML files, how to build maps and lists, and how to use more advanced features like operators, anchors and aliases. View Webinar On Demand »
- Getting Started with Kubernetes, part 2: Creating k8s Objects with YAML | Mar. 18, 2021 – In the second installment of the Getting Started with Kubernetes webinar series, we build off the YAML basics learned in part one to create actual Kubernetes objects such as Pods, Deployments, and Services. You’ll walk away from this webinar with an understanding of the basic Kubernetes objects and how to specify them in your own clusters. View Webinar On Demand »
- Getting Started with Kubernetes, part 3: Storage | Jun. 24, 2021 – The third episode in our Getting Started with Kubernetes webinar series tackles Kubernetes storage. You’ll learn the types of storage k8s recognizes, how to work with storage on the actual host, how to add and configure external storage, how new drivers get added to k8s deployments, and how to run stateful applications, such as databases, on Kubernetes. View Webinar On Demand »
- OpenStack Basics | Mar. 25, 2021 – This training-focused webinar will teach you everything you need to know about OpenStack basics, including where to start, how to create and configure VMs, how to add and manage storage, and how to build basic virtual networks. What’s more, as an authorized partner and official administrator of the Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA) Exam, we’ve included helpful test-prep for when you decide to get certified. View Webinar On Demand | Learn More About the COA Exam »
- Container Security Top 5: Kubernetes in the Wild | Jun. 2, 2021 – Join the experts from Mirantis and Synopsys (a Mirantis training partner) to get the top 5 best practices to employ for securing your containers. Lessons are shared from hundreds of practitioners and experts who have successfully implemented microservices within and across Mirantis Kubernetes Engine. View Webinar On Demand | Learn More About Mirantis Kubernetes Engine »
Onward & Upward in 2022
We hope you’ve found this collection of resources useful, and we invite you to get in touch with us if you have any more questions or would like to speak with a member of our team. On behalf of the entire Mirantis team, we would like to wish everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous new year in 2022.