Last month at the OpenStack summit in Austin, EMC talked about it’s Build-Extend-Optimize strategy, intended to help companies to get the most out of cloud. This week, at EMC World, the company made two new announcements, both focused on helping customers more easily bridge the so-called “OpenStack skills gap” holding back adoption.
Previewed last year as Project Caspian, Neutrino nodes will now be available for EMC’s VCE VxRack product. These nodes will have “turnkey OpenStack” pre-installed, and customers will be able to start with as few as four and scale up to many hundreds. Conceived as a way to distribute a hyperconverged infrastructure with OpenStack on commodity hardware. Neutrino nodes will also be available for vSphere and VMware Photon-based deployments.
The idea is to curate different options to make it easier for IT departments.
The systems also include the Cloud Foundry PaaS, and are intended as an all-in-one shop for internal cloud development — and a challenge to AWS. They’re also intended for cloud-native applications, which typically aren’t as a good a fit for EMC’s Enterprise Hybrid Cloud product.
Also challenging AWS is the new VirtuStream storage cloud, which provides much of the same function as AWS S3.
The new VxRack starts with 4 nodes and will start at $300,000. It will be available later this year.
EMC also launched Polly, open source software designed to help with container storage scheduling. “Short for polymorphic volume scheduling,” Container Journal wrote, “Polly provides a centralized storage scheduling service that connects to container schedulers. EMC is also pledging to further enhance Polly to create a framework that enables the scalable offer-acceptance pattern of consuming volumes across a broad array of container and storage platforms.”
- EMC VxRack Neutrino Nodes launched for OpenStack cloud storage
- EMC Virtustream Storage Cloud, Native Hybrid Cloud announced
- QNX Neutrino RTOS
- EMC unveils open source storage strategy with CoprHD, Caspian
- EMC World: VCE VxRack Gets New Nodes To Ease OpenStack Deployment – Page: 1 | CRN
- EMC Launches Polly, Open Source Storage Scheduling Project for Containers – Container JournalContainer Journal
- EMC: OpenStack ‘not going away’ – from Channelnomics.com
- EMCworld Announcements • The Virtualization Practice
- Dell/EMC vs. HP/Compaq: Night and Day Merger Difference
- EMC World: Michael Dell Says Dell-EMC Is Gaining Ground Against Shrinking, Less Innovative HP – Page: 1 | CRN
- EMC Community Network – ECN: Everything EMC at OpenStack Summit 2016 – Austin, TX
- EMC’s OpenStack “Round Up” in Austin – EMC Pulse