Intel and Rackspace have announced the ‘Cloud for All’ initiative, which includes the formation of the OpenStack Innovation Center, to be located at Rackspace’s San Antonio headquarters, where the pair plans to recruit and train “hundreds” of open source developers to work on strengthening OpenStack. The plan is to build out an OpenStack developer cloud that consists of two 1,000 node clusters available for use by anyone in the OpenStack community for scaling, performance, and code testing. Rackspace plans to have the cloud available within the next six months.
According to Scott Crenshaw, senior vice president of strategy and product at Rackspace, OpenStack is expected to grow at 40%, “faster than the IaaS market as a whole,” CRN says.
Intel’s Diane Bryant, Data Center Group senior VP and general manager, thinks “This transition to cloud is actually not happening fast enough,” according to DataCenterKnowledge. According to Intel, the problem revolves around complexity, lack of scalability, lack of a container strategy, and enterprise-grade features that are still on the horizon. This partnership intends to try and solve some of those problems.
Intel plans to make a “big investment” in acquisitions and other development to support this goal. How big? Jason Waxman, VP and general manager of Intel’s Cloud Platform Group, would say only that “We’re a big company so ‘big’ for us is big.” It also intends to produce optimized products to try and move the market forward.
- Accelerating the Enterprise Features of OpenStack: Rackspace and Intel Form the OpenStack Innovation Center
- Rackspace Collaborates with Intel to Accelerate OpenStack Enterprise Feature Development and Adoption
- Intel Announces ‘Cloud for All’ Initiative to Deliver Benefits of the Cloud to More Businesses
- The Data Stack: Taking the Training Wheels off … | Intel Communities
- Intel And Rackspace Are Planning An OpenStack ‘Innovation Centre | Rapid News Network
- Intel and Rackspace team to drive enterprise OpenStack adoption – Fortune
- Intel announces Cloud for All initiative, Rackspace tie-upPress Examiner
- Intel paints a target on OpenStack flaws – Computer Business Review
- Intel with Rackspace: ‘Cloud for All’ developers, developers, OpenStack developers – Open Source Insider
- Intel, Rackspace Team To Drive OpenStack Innovation – Page: 3 | CRN
- Intel, Rackspace Team Up in Enterprise OpenStack Adoption Push
- Moor To The Story: Intel And Rackspace Announce ‘Cloud For All’