“We need more OpenStack talent”
But more needs to be done, Bryce said, because the community still has this talent gap. So the Foundation has announced the first Foundation-based certification program for individuals: Certified OpenStack Administrator. Other certifications such as Mirantis' Mirantis Administrator Certification for intermediate level specialists have existed for some time, and existing training providers will help to both create and support the initiative. The test will likely be similar to the MCA100 theory exam, in which candidates are evaluated on their knowledge of fundamental OpenStack topics, such as how things work in an OpenStack environment, how to describe OpenStack architecture, or how to troubleshoot common OpenStack failures. (You can check out the MCA100 Study Guide online.)
Any time you launch a new technology finding talent is a challenge. Today we see the proliferation of MacBooks and iPads in schools, but if you're over 40 you remember how Apple flooded the education market, bringing the Apple II series to schools: The "two Steves" understood that by getting schools to teach their students to use a computer, they were enlarging Apple's potential market, but more than that, those kids came out of school thinking that Apples were the only way to go; an "IBM PC" was a non-starter.
The OpenStack Foundation is launching this professional certification to help establish the standard baseline of skills that can be made available worldwide, so this certification test will be delivered virtually to make it truly global. The exam is expected to launch in 2016. Pricing hasn't yet been determined, but the Foundation says the aim is to make it "affordable" for individuals. You can watch Bryce's full presentation as part of the OpenStack Summit day 1 keynote.
- OpenStack Foundation Launches Professional Certification Program for OpenStack Cloud Administrators
- Admins get first OpenStack professional certification: OpenStack and Linux Foundations set for 2016 rollout | ZDNet
- OpenStack addresses skills shortage with cloud admin certification | IT Vendors | Computerworld UK
- OpenStack's New Certification Program Helps IT Resumes Shine | CloudWedge
- OpenStack Project Navigator Helps Users Design Clouds for Their Use Cases - MarketWatch
- How OpenStack's Project Navigator aims to steer users' cloud choices | ZDNet
- OpenStack tool helps new users find relevant cloud projects | Computerworld
- Software » OpenStack Open Source Cloud Computing Software
- 2015: NTT Group becomes First APAC-based Recipient of OpenStack Superuser Award at OpenStack Summit Tokyo | PressReleasePoint