Introducing Docker’s Windows Server Application Migration Program
Last week, Docker announced the Docker Windows Server Application Migration Program, designed to help companies quickly and easily migrate and modernize legacy Windows Server 2008 applications while driving continuous innovation across any application, anywhere.
We recognize that Windows Server 2008 is one of the most widely used operating systems today and the coming end-of-support in January 2020 leaves IT organizations with few viable options to cost-effectively secure their legacy applications and data. The Docker Windows Server Application Migration Program represents the best and only way to containerize and secure legacy Windows Server applications while enabling software-driven business transformation. With this new program, customers get:
- Docker Enterprise: Leading Container Platform and only one for Windows Server applications.
Docker Enterprise is the leading container platform in the industry– familiar to millions of developers and IT professionals. It’s also the only one that runs Windows Server applications, with support for Windows Server 2016, 1709, 1803 and soon, 2019 (in addition to multiple Linux distributions.) Organizations routinely save 50% or more through higher server consolidation and reduced hardware and licensing costs when they containerize their existing applications with Docker Enterprise.
- Industry-proven tools & services: Easily discover, containerize, and migrate with immediate results.Only Docker delivers immediate results with industry-proven services that leverage purpose-built tools for the successful containerization of Windows Server applications in the enterprise. This new service offering is based on proven methodologies from Docker’s extensive experience working with hundreds of enterprises to modernize traditional applications. To accelerate migration of legacy applications, Docker leverages a purpose-built tool, called Docker Application Converter, to automatically scan systems for specific applications and speed up the containerization process by automatically creating Docker artifacts. Similarly, Docker Certified Infrastructure accelerates customers’ ability to operationalize the Docker Enterprise container platform. Docker Certified Infrastructure includes configuration best practices, automation tools and validated solution guides for integrating containers into enterprise IT infrastructure like VMware vSphere, Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services.
- Foundation for continuous innovation: Software-driven transformation that enables continuous innovation across any application, anywhereDocker’s platform and methodologies enable organizations to both modernize existing applications and adopt new technologies to meet business needs. This enables transformation to be driven by business and not technical dependencies. Customers can easily integrate new technology stacks and architecture without friction, including: cloud-native apps, microservices, data science, edge computing, and AI.
“We have a vision to ‘cloudify’ everything and transform how we do business as a telecom provider. Docker Enterprise is a key part of that vision. With Docker Enterprise, we have already containerized over half of our application portfolio and accelerated deployment cycles. We are looking forward to getting the advanced Windows Server support features in Docker Enterprise 2.1 into production.”By containerizing legacy applications and their dependencies with the Docker Enterprise container platform, businesses can be moved to Windows Server 2016 (and later OS) without code changes, saving millions in development costs. And because containerized applications run independently of the underlying operating system, they break the cycle of extensive, dependency-ridden upgrades, creating a future-proof architecture that makes it easy to always stay current on the latest OS.
— Gregory Bohncke, Technical Architect, Tele2
Take the next steps with Docker:
- Learn more by visiting the Windows Server Application Migration page
- Contact us to schedule an assessment and find out how much you can save
- Register for our upcoming webinar: Docker Enterprise: The Next Leap Forward for Windows Server Applications