NetApp + Mirantis: MOS 9.0 Reference Architecture and Fuel Plugin
Last year, to facilitate deployment of NetApp storage solutions with Mirantis OpenStack 7.0, NetApp created the first release of their Fuel Plugin for ONTAP and E-Series integration. This release also included a comprehensive Reference Architecture, offering guidance and best-practice gleaned from several major Mirantis OpenStack+NetApp customer deployments.
Elaborating on the more-basic instructions offered in the Fuel Plugin Guide, the NetApp Mirantis Unlocked Reference Architecture discussed NetApp ONTAP and E-Series storage solutions in detail, explained configuration options on a feature-by-feature basis, and offered step-by-step instructions for using the plugin, including pre-configuration and post-deployment checkout.
This week, NetApp has released an updated version of their Fuel Plugin for Mirantis OpenStack 9.0 (Mitaka), collaborating with Mirantis to produce a fully-updated version of the NetApp Mirantis Unlocked Reference Architecture. (Both the Fuel Plugin and Reference Architecture can be downloaded from the Mirantis Unlocked NetApp Partner Page at http://mirantis.com/partners/netapp/).
The new document makes it easier for deployment engineers and architects to integrate NetApp Clustered Data ONTAP/ONTAP 9 or E-Series storage solutions with a Mirantis OpenStack 9.0 cloud.
New NetApp Plugin Features for MOS 9.0Mirantis OpenStack 9.0 supports several new NetApp features:
- Consistency Groups, enabling snapshots of multiple Cinder volumes to be taken at the same instant in time, ensuring consistency
- CHAP Authentication, for communication between iSCSI initiators and targets
- Quality of Service (QoS) based on maximum I/O per GB, in addition to QoS based on maximum bytes per second, bytes per second allowed per GiB, and IOPS
- Manila (File-Share Service) support is not supported out-of-the-box in Mirantis OpenStack 9.0, but the Mirantis Services division, assisted by the OpenStack@NetApp team, can enable NetApp clustered Data ONTAP storage for Manila at customer request.
- SolidFire support can also be enabled separately; refer to the SolidFire Partner page for more information.
Where to go from hereOf course there's much more than we can tell you in a single blog post! The following resources will help get you started:
- Mirantis Unlocked Partner page for NetApp
- Reference Architecture for MOS 9.0 with NetApp storage
- MOS 9.0 Fuel Plugin for NetApp (.rpm) and Installation Guide
- OpenStack@NetApp Deployment and Operations Guide
- Discuss NetApp and Mirantis OpenStack at theOpenStack@NetApp Community
- Technical Support is available from NetApp Technical Support or Mirantis Support.