OpenStack community tackles skills shortage; Mirantis trains 5000 students
According to Suse, "as enterprises increasingly look to OpenStack for their private cloud investments, they are also wary of challenges and complications, including:
- High degree of difficulty: Half of all enterprises that tried to implement an OpenStack cloud have failed, and 65 percent of companies report they have found the implementation experience difficult. In addition, nearly half (44 percent) plan to download and install OpenStack software themselves, potentially adding to the degree of difficulty.
- Vendor lock-in constraints: 92 percent of respondents have concerns about vendor lock-in when it comes to choosing a private cloud infrastructure solution.
- Skills shortage: 86 percent of respondents said the lack of skills in the market is making their companies reluctant to pursue private cloud. In addition, 78 percent of companies that have yet to adopt private cloud are deterred by the skills shortage."
Moreover, the industry has been making headway on the skills shortage issue; Mirantis, one of the leading players in the OpenStack training space, reported that it had trained 5000 students in 2015, doubling the number of students trained since 2012. The company also added two new courses and 15 new locations last year. In addition to training courses, the company also offers two different OpenStack certifications.
According to the OpenStack Foundation, since the launch of the OpenStack marketplace in September 2013, training offerings grew from 17 unique courses in eight cities to 119 courses in 99 cities. In fact, the OpenStack Foundation has launched its own certification exam, as has the Linux Foundation.
"Training is often a leading indicator to a technology's impact. In 2015 OpenStack advanced beyond early adopters, and we saw an uptick in individuals and businesses scrambling to develop OpenStack skills," said Mirantis Head of OpenStack Training Services, Lee Xie. "Students choose Mirantis Training because our courses cover vanilla OpenStack, equipping them with true technical understanding of what it's like to deploy and operate OpenStack in the real world."
Like news like this? Sign up for the OpenStack:Unlocked newsletter.
- Mirantis claims surge in OpenStack online training - RCR Wireless News
- UPDATE - OpenStack Education Surges in 2015, Mirantis Trains 5,000 Students
- Mirantis and Others Steer Big Growth in OpenStack Cloud Training
- OpenStack Cloud Certification Exam by Mirantis
- COA » OpenStack Open Source Cloud Computing Software
- New Research Shows OpenStack Adoption Strong, But Complexities Remain | news.sys-con.com
- SUSE: OpenStack Cloud Demand High, But Hampered By Skills Shortage | Open Source Application Software Companies content from The VAR Guy