Mirantis Launches NFV Initiative with Citrix, Metaswitch and Overture Networks
Adoption of Network Function Virtualization on OpenStack to dramatically accelerate service agility and innovation for $1.6 trillion telecommunications industry
Mountain View, CA — September 17, 2015 — Mirantis, the pure-play OpenStack company, today unveiled a network function virtualization (NFV) initiative with partners Citrix, Metaswitch Networks and Overture Networks that will unlock communications companies from expensive proprietary hardware, enabling them to launch new services with greater velocity and lower cost.
NFV enables carriers to virtualize network functions by running them as software instances on any hardware platform anywhere within their networks. Mirantis has been implementing NFV projects with telecommunications customers since the technology’s inception and will offer an NFV reference architecture and OpenStack validation program for partner virtual network functions (VNFs).
“Telecommunications companies are increasingly drawn to NFV because it frees them from expensive proprietary hardware platforms, reduces operational expenses, and facilitates the launch of new applications and services quickly,” said Heather Kirksey, director, OPNFV. “Developers can spend less time on administrative tasks and more time delivering innovative applications and services to consumers.”
Mirantis is the largest OpenStack provider for companies in the $1.6 trillion* telecommunications industry. Engagements include the largest OpenStack deal on record with Ericsson, and some of the largest** companies in the U.S., Germany, France, Australia, Saudi Arabia, and the U.K.
“The telecommunications industry is in the midst of a massive transformation. It faces a ballooning customer base consuming massive amounts of data, and competition from a new wave of startups born out of the Web,” said Mirantis VP of Product and Partner Marketing, Kamesh Pammaraju. “These companies must innovate, and to do so, their networking needs to be agile, scalable and cost effective. The best way to do this is through NFV, which is why NFV investments will reach nearly $21 billion by 2020.***”
Mirantis’ NFV initiative will offer a whitepaper and a deployment guide for customers looking to deploy NFV solutions on OpenStack, and Mirantis OpenStack validation for partner VNF solutions under the Unlocked Technology Partner Program. New partner validations have been completed for:
- Citrix NetScaler
- Metaswitch‘s Perimeta Session Border Controller (SBC)
- Overture Networks’ Ensemble Service Orchestrator (ESO), which provides NFVO & VNFM capabilities and will be validated with Mirantis OpenStack and a broad ecosystem of VNFs
Mirantis’ NFV initiative will also add critical NFV features to Mirantis OpenStack, making it a carrier-grade OpenStack distribution that offers a small physical footprint, high availability (HA), single root I/O virtualization (SR-IOV) and other NFV features that support high performance VNF deployments.
Mirantis joined OPNFV, a carrier-grade, integrated, open source platform to accelerate the introduction of new NFV products and services, as a silver sponsor in Fall 2014, and will continue to be an active sponsor, offering real-world implementation experience to the community.
- Join Mirantis and Metaswitch on Tuesday, September 22, for an NFV webinar.
- Read Mirantis’ blog, “Unlocking NFV with Pure-Play OpenStack.”
- Mirantis NFV: https://www.mirantis.com/solutions/network-functions-virtualization-nfv
- Metaswitch NFV: http://www.metaswitch.com/network-functions-virtualization-nfv
- Overture Networks’ Ensemble Service Orchestrator (ESO): http://www.overturenetworks.com/products/network-virtualization/ensemble-service-orchestrator-eso/
Mirantis is the pure play OpenStack company, delivering all the software, services, training, and support needed for running OpenStack. More customers rely on Mirantis than any other company to get to production deployment of OpenStack at scale. Mirantis is among the top three companies worldwide in contributing open source software to OpenStack, and has helped build and deploy some of the largest OpenStack clouds in the world, at companies such as Cisco, Comcast, Ericsson, NASA, Samsung and Symantec. Mirantis is venture-backed by August Capital, Ericsson, Goldman Sachs, Intel Capital, Insight Venture Partners, Sapphire Ventures, Siguler Guff & Co., and WestSummit Capital, with headquarters in Mountain View, California. Follow us on Twitter at @mirantisit.
- *Gartner, “Gartner Says Worldwide IT Spending on Pace to Grow 2.4 Percent in 2015,” January 12, 2015
- **Forbes, “The World’s Largest Telecom Companies: China Mobile Beats Verizon, AT&T Again,” June 1, 2015
- ***FierceWireless, “Why AT&T, Verizon, Ericsson and the rest of the industry is embracing SDN and NFV,” February 10, 2015
PR manager, Mirantis